Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Super ringmaster

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2024, 07:01 AM
AJ Sun

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts

Aaganz. No that comment was about my now defined 1/3; scale Aeronca Champ. I bought the plans. Only plans I've bought from AMA they offered a Fibreglas cowl and stock Aeronca Windscreen. The Super Ringmaster and Veco Tom Tom has the same design windscreen. My Micro Models kit has a windscreen. But it's really flimsy, so I went with thicker acetate and used my heat gun and formed my own. Don't take much heat to get it to form. Have to trim it to fit. AJ
Old 04-18-2024, 10:52 AM
AJ Sun

Well I layed the first Silk on the RM left wing bottom side and applied water distilled. Will let that dry and continue the weather is about right 70 degrees and Bout fourty percent humidity. Using Nitrate Dope to attach the fabric and it’s laying right in their. Next four days and the wing will be covered. And ready for Butirate Dope process. AJ
Old 04-20-2024, 10:45 AM
AJ Sun

Well it’s saturday and I applied Silk this AM now it’s raining drizzle weather is not cooperating, my final top layer is going on Sunday morning. Then my SR wing will be covered. Applied distilled water on the bottom half, it tightened up nice, when I complete the cover I will apply three more spray distilled water. Then she drys over nite after every coat of water. Then three coats of long and cross coats of Nitrate. Then on goes the Butirate. Probably will have to use retarder, if the rain and moisture continues.AJ
Old 04-21-2024, 07:08 AM
AJ Sun

Well our weather finally cleared and I just applied the last part of the Silk on my SR. And applied distilled water. 24 hour dry period and two more spray apps of Distilled water. Then three coats of Nitrate Dope long and cross coats. Why Nitrate. It has a tendency to shrink the Silk to a drum sound, compaired to Butirate. And it also fills the Silk. The Butirate will do a complete seal of the Silk. And make it fuel proof. Applying non taughting silver Butirate will make the Silk last longer. Yearly coats of Butirate mixed with virgin Olive oil will make the finish last. Not to offend just the way I was instructed years ago.AJ
Old 04-22-2024, 01:20 PM
AJ Sun

Well today was another application of Distilled water. One more on Tuesday, then The first complete application of Nitrate Dope.on Wednesday. Have to watch the weather and humidity. Still getting lots of rain this spring. Using retarder. To stop the blushing. Using Randolph dope. Thinner and retarder. AJ
Old 04-24-2024, 07:11 AM
AJ Sun

Wednesday and on goes the first coat of Nitrate Dope thinned. Almost the neutral tint and water thin. It went on really well, going to be 80 today. So I am really hoping I get a good first coat shrink. Might let it dry two days. And see if that next coat is still Nitrate or Butirate. Got my Randolph non taught Silver bought a quart, from Aircraft Spruce. I plan to spay that on it fills and really sands well. AJ
Old 04-27-2024, 02:50 PM
AJ Sun

Being Saturday all went well and the second coat of Butirate is on. Getting nice shrink and a few of the boo boos are cleaning up. The weight box I installed. Is the final step. To install the cover and weights. Then the silver coat will be applied. My final color will be yellow wings and Maroon fuselage. Coming along nicely!AJ
Old 04-28-2024, 01:54 PM
aaganz

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I am in a short delay while waiting for a shipment from Brodak, ordered last week.( Fuel tanks, 3/32 in ID tubing, Cessna White Dope - Butyrate). I have one thinned coat of white on the plane. See the pix above.
The plan is to put one non-thinned white coat on the fuselage and tail assembly, followed by 2 thinned coats on the wings (Ratio: Dope to Thinner??). All to be followed by 2 coats of thinned clear Butyrate Dope.
Does this make sense? The one thinned white coat currently on the wings looks "sketchy"!!
aaganz