Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Fms f3a olympus !

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 08:13 PM
pshark101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

duplicate

Last edited by pshark101; 06-06-2014 at 08:19 PM.
Old 06-06-2014, 08:17 PM
pshark101

Received the Olympus, but the fuselage has a pretty good bow in it. Looks like the fuselage halves were glued together that way, I don't think it's something that can be simply straightened. I've contacted MotionRC about it, hopefully it'll be resolved soon. I wanted to fly it tomorrow, but after seeing the bow I didn't start any of the build yet.

Plane looks really nice, I'm looking forward to getting it in the air soon.
Old 06-06-2014, 08:43 PM
woodie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jay, that's a bummer, hope they can get this replaced for you quickly.

Woodie
Old 06-10-2014, 06:28 PM
pshark101

I contacted MotionRC Monday and they sent out a replacement fuselage the same day. I should receive it Friday. Can't beat that for customer service!
Old 06-12-2014, 10:39 PM
pshark101

How is everyone's paint holding up? Don, I know you mentioned that pulling the decals up will lift the paint... how about normal dents/dings? I'm wondering if I should spray a light coat of clear on the airframe.
Old 06-13-2014, 05:32 AM
woodie

I don't think the clear would add any strength tho it would probably help keep the paint in place. As far as dents and dings, I don't think the clear would help much with that. My Olympus gets stacked in the back of my SUV where ever it will fit and it still looks fine except for the FMS 'Passion' stickers peeling up at the edges. Hopefully they will continue to peel and eventually fall off. I don't understand why that sticker is there anyway..... ;-)

Actually, my bigger concern would be adding weight to the plane with the clear coat.

Woodie
Old 06-13-2014, 06:32 PM
pshark101

Thanks for the info, Don. Right, I know it wouldn't add any strength, I only meant it in terms of keeping the paint from chipping/peeling. About the ding/dents, I was wondering if the paint chips every time the plane gets dented, or does the paint flex with the ding? Good to hear yours is holding up well. I see what you mean about the FMS stickers, the edges of mine are curled right out of the box.

My replacement fuselage arrived today, and it's nice and straight! I'll try to get the "build" completed tomorrow. Here's a pic of the original curved fuse:

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3112.JPG
Views:	4330
Size:	772.4 KB
ID:	2004776  
Old 06-13-2014, 07:47 PM
woodie

Don't you think a little left rudder trim would have handled that? ;-) the paint sticks to the foam with little dents/dings but will pull easily if you try to take the stickers off or put any tape on the paint then try to remove it..

Woodie
Old 06-13-2014, 08:15 PM
pshark101

Yeah, just a little left rudder should do it! Or maybe they designed it that way so you don't need any right thrust... hmm.

Ok, good, I'll skip the clear coat. I didn't want to go through the trouble anyway.
Old 06-17-2014, 04:39 PM
pshark101

Woodie, I know you kept yours pretty much stock...are you using the stock BEC too? Debating if I want to use a separate battery pack for the receiver, this size plane is about where I go with a separate pack.
Old 06-17-2014, 04:54 PM
woodie

I kept everything stock, no separate BEC. The reason I kept everything original was to see if a new pattern flyer could take it out of the box, not have to change anything and be successful with the stock setup. I understand why you would consider going with a separate BEC tho. So far, I have not had any issues with the ESC/BEC setup, the ESC is barely warm when I land and I have not noticed any indications of rx/servo power problems. I have rx voltage telemetry on this plane and I have not had any warnings of low or sagging voltage.

Woodie
Old 06-17-2014, 09:34 PM
pshark101

Awesome. I'll do the same, too... that way we'll have two test-beds. Mine is stock except for swapping the propeller with an APC. All I have left to do is check control surface travels and CG, should be able to test fly tomorrow.

I'll tell you what, swapping the tail servos to the new fuselage was a pain! Took about an hour of patience and frustration to snake the wires through the tiny staggered openings in the rear of the fuselage, not much larger than the servo extension connectors themselves.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:14 PM
pshark101

Maidened the Olympus today, it went great! I concur, it flies really nice! It's one of those models that you instantly feel comfortable with. I put four flights on it, and three of those flights were in very gusty conditions in the afternoon. Lots of dust devils rolling through. One of them went through the pits and blew my Helios fuselage several feet off the table, flipping it upside down in mid-air. A crunched elevator and a crushed rudder servo mount was the result. Good thing the wings weren't on it, it would've went for a crazy ride if so. The Olympus handled the gusty conditions just fine, but did get knocked around in flight a tad more than a 2M ship would have.

Knife edge was effortless, hardly any coupling at all... not enough to bother mixing out. Upline rolls are a piece of cake, downlines require a touch of down. Slows down nicely, has a decent amount of drag. All in all a great flying airplane, I like it!

Last edited by pshark101; 06-18-2014 at 08:17 PM.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:39 PM
woodie

Great!!! Sorry to hear about the Helios tho

Woodie
Old 10-02-2014, 03:59 AM
ltc
My Feedback: (3)

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

FMS has announced a much smaller version of the Olympus (3s 1800 size pack), the Explorer

http://www.diamondhobby.com/fms-1020mm-f3a-explorer-pnp
Old 10-07-2014, 07:53 AM
Anthony-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

Anyone know what size spinner? That stock one is just too pointy for me.
Old 10-07-2014, 09:55 AM
ltc
My Feedback: (3)

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Anthony-RCU
Anyone know what size spinner? That stock one is just too pointy for me.
The original prototype (with the Wind S decals on the side!) had a less pointy spinner (picture at the bottom of this page)
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/prod...984372999.html

The construction of the spinner should allow for "cutting its nose off" which would perhaps help the look and definitely help cooling, unless you are planning on going with a CF (Falcon) spinner or TruTurn (see post #19 of this thread)
Old 11-18-2014, 02:14 PM
crazyf3a

Hi to all Olympus, Passion or Ice Blast Flyers.
What Is the correct CG of the plane. My Friends tell me that 170 mm is the best. He has modified.
Is this correct.
The rate of ele, ail, and rud are to much. Have you modified the Rates.

SR
Andi
Old 11-19-2014, 10:45 AM
Anthony-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

Still playing with CG on mine started at the 150 mm in the manual and it isn't too far off. The nose does wander when too far back.
Didn't even look at the rates in the manual and started with usual pattern plane rates.
Low rates - Ailerons 12, elevator 8 rudder 20 degrees
Snap - Ailerons 20, elevator 12, rudder 25 degrees
spin - Ailerons 15, Elevator 20, rudder 35 degrees.

That will get you pretty close.Flying it very soft and I like it. KE is very good and low rate rudder works for everything except stalls. Using a 15x10 prop on 5 cells and may try a 16x10 on a warmer day. Turned the brake on and don't think I like it. Seems to not do much in down lines and make for a terrible transition back to power. Somehow it manages to stop the prop on final causing lots of sink. May give up on the brake or switch to a better esc.
Old 11-21-2014, 02:30 AM
crazyf3a

Hi

Thanks for Expert Info. I think the same.
Today I performed measurement.
Prop. Orig. 15x8 ", TP 5S 4.400mAh 25C battery fully charged (from an F3A Pack).
I can confirm. Current measured with current clamp amperemeter was 43 A at a speed of 8,130 rpm. Unfortunately, I have not written down the voltage.
I think that's enough speed. I would go on a 16 x 8 ". For a flight, it's too cold for me.
I will first fly with a CG of 160 mm. It already will not go wrong. I hope.
SR
Andreas
Old 04-14-2015, 04:47 PM
scott36
My Feedback: (54)

I just got one of these on order , will be here this weekend. ill check back and report on the plane
Old 04-15-2015, 01:35 AM
scott36

hay folks I forgot to ask if anyone has some watt readings on both 5 and 6 cells
Old 04-17-2015, 01:05 PM
scott36

Ok folks I finished the assembly of the Olympus,, packing was great no damage to anything, the directions are spot on and a lot better then even ones from say great planes, during assembly follow the instructions with the parts bags marked and its a breeze finding the wright screws ,control rods ect ect , this thing even comes with a screw driver for all the screws and even some glue for the rudder hinges, I put larger tires on the plane tho,and left off the wheels pants and the spinner, I just don't like these items , I want to do some watt test with 5 and 6 cells packs but that's later, the Olympus balanced out with a 3300 6 cell with the pack about 1/4 forward the battery tray and closer to the 160 mm mark, also added Velcro on the battery tray. wont get a chance to maiden it till next week with weather and work tho.
Old 05-28-2015, 02:58 PM
KC8QPU

Hey guys. I just got back into flying. I used to fly the Great Planes Venus II. I just seen this plane today on the internet. Sounds like you guys really have had good luck with this plane. Seems you just can't beat the price with all that is included and sounds like a great plane to start out with again. I will definitely be ordering one of these soon.
Old 06-05-2015, 11:10 PM
stuntflyr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had a hard time getting to the flying field this year but have smaller fields to fly out of with rougher surfaces so ordered an Arcus bipe, but this looks like a great replacement for my Osiris on rough, small fields. I'm protective of the Osiris and fly it only on pavement, this looks like a perfect substitute when not able to get to the prepared flying fields and sounds like everyone likes the way it flies.
Chris...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.